Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hi Everybody!

Well it's my first official post on this blog, so I'm gonna take the first little bit to introduce it. My name is Toxic the Machine AKA Bob Barker AKA Marko the Odd AKA a few other things. I make weird flash videos and have my weekly Friday night internet radio show KRUD (That Site needs some eventual updating). Though most of you proabably allready knew that since you proabably got the link here form me. But if you didn't, I congradulate you.

Now on to this Blog's purpose! Because I already have a LiveJournal, which I use for my occasional ramblings, I've decided to make this Blog an MP3 blog. On it I will be showcasing all sort of interesting tunes that I find all over the place ranign from the strange, the rare, or stuff that just sounds cool. I was slightly inspired by Nathew to do this since he also has a MP3 Blog, Lurch Poiuyt who gave me some web space, as well as other MP3 blogs that I've discoverred recently. I'll try to update the blog at least once a week, with around three mp3 per update. Each set of mp3s will be available for around 3-4 weeks, and then I'll take them down. However, if you would like a track that I had featured here ealirer, you can contact me at marko42@gmail.com.

So, on to this weeks set of mp3s:

During the past few months I have discoverred the wonders of Japanese Tribute Albums to Western bands. I've found ones fo Weezer, Disney, Pixies, Nirvana (though I haven't heard anything from that one). The latest tribute album that I discoverred was a tribute to Green Day entitled "Japanese Supergals", since all the tracks are done by groups with female vocals. There is apparently a tribute that precedes it entitled "Japanese Superkids" with male groups. But the the things that I like about these albums is that they often have a fair amount of tracks that take a rather unique approach to the songs, as opposed to some American tribute albums. True, the Japanese vocals and mispronunciations can get a bit annoying at times, but overall they seem to produce interesting results. So here are three tracks from "Japanese Supergals".

Spoony - Basketcase

I'm first gonna pick one that stays fairly close to the original. Except that it seems to have a "rougher" sound to it, with piercing high pitched voices of attitude singign the chorus. Not to mention the slightly out of place sounding guitar solo. I've heard some of Spoony's other stuff from the Weezer and Disney tributes, and was a bit dispointed by this version, but it's still pretty coo. Besides, I'd have to say it's deinfinitely better than Avril Lavigne's rendition of it.

meg - Warning
Now this one is definetly different. This version gives Green Day's Warning a slightly more laidback and jazzy sound, complete with some television noises and a slightly "disco-like" ending. One of my definite favorites.

Yoppy - When I Come Around
And this proabably wins the award for strangest rendition on the disc (though there is the disco-funk rendition of "Redundant" that I didn't post here). Though it does keep the same melody of the orginal, this version is still really weird, and defiently not as radio-friendly as the orginal. It features more high pitched female vocals screaming the lyrics like crazy, and what appears to possibly a xylophone or glochenspiel, as well as a crazy 2 minute finale that just as it sounds like its ending picks up again, and then ends again.

Well that's it for this week. Come back soon.

2 Comments:

At February 6, 2005 at 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome tracks. i agree with you on "warning." it'd probably be one of my favourites too. it kind of reminds me of those pastel vespa covers.

and yeah, "when i come around" is pretty screwy. i like the gloc-age though.

keep it up! i'm sure you have lots of interesting tracks to offer.

 
At April 14, 2005 at 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude your flash movies are so fucking halarious you MUST make more.....now!!! ok not now but keep up the good and funny work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home