Saturday, February 12, 2005

Hooray for The Second Update!

Well I decided to go and get my second update before I got really behind. But because I was a bit late I decided to post 5 songs instead of 3. So let's get to them!

Styx - Plexiglass Toilet

I have been addicted to this song a lot lately. Most people only know Styx for their cheesy 80s track, Mr Roboto. Others, will know of some of their more hard rocking tunes from the 70s like Come Sail Away and Renegade. Less know about this track from their 1974 album, "The Serpent is Rising". This song appears as a secret track in the middle of the album after the song "As Bad As This". This song is rather strange number about toilets which is very reminiscent of The BananaboatSong AKA "Day-O". It also reminds me of this song.

Village People - Food Fight
While we're on the topic of strange songs you wouldn't expect from certain groups, I've deicded to share this little jem from the Village People's last official album "Renaissance" from 1981 and is often creditted as "The album that shouldn't have been made". After the death of disco, the Village People felt the need to change their sound. And so on this album, they go for a fairly "new-wavey" sound since that's what seemed like the new trend. The strangest thing about this album though, is that last three tracks, known as "The Food Trilogy" which consist of "Big Mac", "Diet", and "Food Fight". "Food Fight" is proabably the strangest of these, since it comes off sounding more like a combination of Devo and the Ramones, than anything that the Village People would have put out. Now download it, and let us never speak of this again.

Lemon Jelly - The Fruity Track
Now I seem to be enterring a food theme here. For those who don't know, Lemon Jelly are a British duo known for making fairly downtempo happy chillout music, using some obscure samples. Their latest album "64-95", however takes a bit of a break from this, by introducing more rockier and dancier types of tracks, all of which are based on a sample from a song from a specific year between 1964 and 1995. This song is not from that album, rather a B-Side from their single "Stay With You" which came out late last year. But like the album "64-95" this song is based on samples from a classic tune from my childhood from the mid 90s. But I won't say what it is, since I think a bunch of people can figure it out when they hear it.

Rip Slyme - Funkastic (Orchestra-Plus Version)
Okay so this one is not about food (from what I know of), but it is somethign fairly obscure. Rip Slyme are a Japanese group, and Funkastic was a big hit for them in the summer of 2002. Many people, though, know it from the Animutation "Earth vs Funk" . But unlike most American rap groups, Rip Slyme did something different. They also relased a 2 disc CD called "Orchestra-Plus" which featured some of their major hits done as orchestrated classical numbers featuring spoken word lyrics, (though the other disc consists of the songs without the vocals).

And now the last track. However, due to the fear of getting a Cease and Desist from the record company, I'm gonna be really careful and just say that you can fetch it here. I'm not gonna give out anymore details except that I really like this tune and the artist who does it, and that I am exicted for his new album coming out on April 26, which this track is from.

3 Comments:

At February 14, 2005 at 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI BOB I R REKERD COMPNY YOU LOSE FORK OVER THE MONEYS

 
At February 26, 2005 at 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The bob is great, the bob loves all children and animal. Worship thine bob for happy times ahead.

 
At February 26, 2005 at 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My god, Plexiglass Toilet sounds too much like Lemon Demon's Porta-Potty Man. I'm scared now.

Hold me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home